View and apply: https://www.wgu.edu/about_WGU/
The Director of University Relations is responsible for leading the university’s external communications, including media relations, community relations, reputation management, social media, and crisis communications. The incumbent, who reports to the Vice President of University Communications, is responsible for leading the development and implementation of public relations strategies for WGU as well as supporting the efforts of the university’s state affiliates.
In addition to leading the PR team, the Director of University Relations manages agencies and vendors, develops short-term and long-term plans, and coordinate promotional efforts with Marketing.
The Director of University Relations conceptualizes and oversees creation and development of reputation-building collateral, including brochures; annual reports; blog posts, op eds, articles, presentations, including video; and press releases.
The incumbent works closely with the University Communications Content Manager and Internal Communications Manager as well as the Marketing team to ensure that university communications are consistent in messaging and branding.
The major accountabilities of the position are developing public relations plans, messaging, and strategies and leading the day-to-day public relations functions for the university. With media relations as the first priority, the incumbent will be responsible for ensuring that the content created and distributed by the department is strategic, on message, and top quality. The Director will work closely with senior leaders across the university on media relations and thought leadership initiatives. He/she will provide guidance, assistance, and coaching to members of the team as well as public relations staff in WGU’s state affiliate organizations.
- Leading the efforts to develop and implement PR plans and strategies, which include media relations, reputation enhancement/management, and thought leadership.
- Writing and developing content, including video, brochures, website copy, op eds, and presentations.
- Leading/coordinating planning of events, including promotion.
- Directing the workflow of the public relations department.
- Developing goals and reporting on progress.
- Providing regular reports on department initiatives and accomplishments.
- Supporting other PR projects as needed
- Ability to lead, organize, and motivate a team focused on building awareness and reputation.
- Ability to conceptualize projects, plan work and budget, and manage multiple priorities.
- Ability to perform creative writing and related activities such as conducting interviews, research, and editing.
- Ability to work calmly and maintain good judgment in a fast-paced, dynamic, and entrepreneurial environment.
- Ability to understand and interpret information accurately.
- Ability to communicate accurately and concisely.
- Ability to influence others positively.
- Ability to initiate creative and innovative promotional ideas.
- Display a competent and confident professional demeanor.
- Demonstrated skill and ability in the use of social media, including Twitter, Facebook, & LinkedIn
- Demonstrated skill and ability in the effective use of equipment, computers and other resources for completion of projects such as posters, displays, PowerPoints, etc.
A bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, public relations, journalism, or related field.
7 to 10 years of experience in public relations or related field. An equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience is acceptable.
Accreditation in public relations, APR, is preferred.
Job Open Date: 1/29/2018
Job Close Date: 6/1/2018